PORK LIVER WITH POTATOES
Liver can be baked, boiled, broiled, fried, stir-fried, or eaten raw. The most widespread liver dish is liver and onions. In many preparations pieces of liver are combined with meat or kidneys. Liver is also often made into spreads; well-known examples include liver pâté. Animal livers are rich in iron and Vitamin A, and cod liver oil is commonly used as a dietary supplement.
I used to hate liver when I was a child, but my parents insisted for me to eat it because they said it’s rich in Iron. So, in order for them to make me eat liver, they made it taste like Bistek (local version of Beef Steak). They were successful. Now I understand why my daughter hated it also! Every time I cooked something with liver at home for sure it’s only for both of us, hubby and I.
How to do it? Here’s a fast and easy recipe good for 2-3 people:
200 g Pork Liver, sliced thinly
2 pcs. medium-sized Potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 Red Onion rings
1 Lemon for Lemon juice
4 tbsps. Soy sauce
2 tbsps. vegetable oil or olive oil
Salt and Pepper
—Place the liver into a bowl. Add soysauce and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the bowl in the fridge and marinate for at least 1 hour.
TIP 1: To save time, while waiting, you can do the cutting for the rest of the ingredients. You can also marinate the liver overnight.
—On a hot skillet or pan, add oil and butter. Fry the liver for about 3-4 minutes by turning both sides. Make sure you made it on both sides. Place on a plate and set aside.
TIP 2: Liver tastes better if cooked rare to medium-rare because it retains the juices. Over-cooking makes the meat tough and dry.
—On the same skillet or pan, fry the potatoes until cooked. The drippings from the liver will give flavor to the potatoes.
—Add the onion rings and the left-over liver marinate. Cover and turn off the stove for about five minutes. The heat will be enough to cook the onions and potatoes. Then add the liver. Serve with rice.
PORK LIVER ADOBO WITH RADISH
The simplicity of the Filipino saute. Many Filipino dishes start off with a basic “guisa”a stir-fried base of aromatics that provides a foundation of flavor that compliments a wide range of ingredients, from seafood to meat and poultry, to vegetables.
Liver is an excellent, very concentrated source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals. It can be used in the prevention and treatment of a variety of nutrient deficiency illnesses.
* 300 g Pork Liver, thinly sliced
* 1 bunch of Scallions, cut into rings, separate the white part
* 1 pc. Tomatoe, sliced
* 2 cloves Garlic, crushed and peeled
* 2 pcs. Laurel
* 1 medium-sized White Radish, thinly sliced (Labanos)
* 3 tbsps. Olive oil
* 1 tbsp. Vinegar, I used Rice vinegar
* some fresh Ground Pepper
* 2 to 3 tbsps. Soy sauce
* some Salt if necessary
*1.) Heat a pan or skillet, pour olive oil. Saute onio, tomatoe, garlic and radish. When radish half cook, add pork liver and laurel. Continue stirring until liver change it’s color. Season with fresh ground pepper and soy sauce. Pour 4 tbsps. water, cover for about 8 minutes.
*2.) Add 1 tbsp. vinegar and scallions. adjust taste by adding salt or soy sauce. Serve while hot with rice.
SPICY CHICKEN LIVER
My two kids doesn’t eat Livers of any kind!
I love chicken livers when prepared in a savory dish. This is the way I prepare them and I hope you will try them this way. My picture is about 5 minutes after cooking!
* 500 g or package of fresh chicken livers
* 2 tbsps. or small pat of butter
* 3 tbsps. olive oil (twice around the frypan)
* 1 large sweet onion sliced
* 3 large tomaotes, roughly sliced
* 1 tbsp. reg flour
* salt to taste
* pepper to taste
* 1 tsp. curry powder
* garlic powder or fresh ones
* 1/2 tsp. Tabasco
* 1/2 to1 tsp. Sambaloelek (chilli paste in glass)
* 4 tbsps. heavy cream
* 1 to 2 tsps. Annatto powder
* few drops of water
—Heat a pan. Add butter and olive oil. Saute onion, and tomatoes until onion is trnaslucent and tomatoes is smashy.
—Add chicken livers, stir until livers are done.
—Season with pepper, garlic powder, salt, curry powder, tabasco, sambaloelek (chilli paste) and 1 tbsp. flour.
—Continue stirring lightly and carefully add a few drops of water, annato powder and to make it fine heavy cream. Cook over med heat untill done to the desired degree.
—preferably serve over rice and enjoy!
BEEF LIVER WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR
Liver is not to everyone’s taste, but this beef liver recipe is an unusual and enjoyable version.
The Traditional Balsamic Vinegar adds a deep sweet aroma to the dish.
This method of preparation eliminates the things that I find put me off about liver. I love beef liver than pork. Eventhough my 2 kids doesn’t like it, I used to cook it once a month for my hubby and for myself only.
“Amoy palang ng atay ay ayaw na ayaw ng 2 kids ko. Sa ganitong paraan ng pagluluto nito, I’ve found out na nababawasan ang langsa ng atay. Using “BALSAMIC VINEGAR”. Pwede ring haluan ng 2 tbsps. ny soy sauce para doon sa sanay na magtimpla ng may toyo. Pero ito ay walang halong soy sauce. Pakatatandaan: huwag patatagalan lutuin ang atay, para hidi maging makunat o matigas!”
* 250 g Beef Liver
* 2 to 4 tbsps. Balsamic Vinegar (Balsamico), depends upon your preference (sourness)
* 1 whole Garlic, peeled and chopped
* 1 big Onion, peeled and sliced
* some Vegetable oil, about 3 tbsps.
* 1 Beef broth cube
* Heat some vegetable oil. Add garlic, liver, onion, salt, beef broth cube and balsamic vinegar. Blend all together until liver is done. Don’t overcooked the liver, otherwise tough and dry!
GRILLED BEEF LIVER
I am sure you wouldn’t mind getting hooked to this Grilled Liver recipe. They said it’s good as an Appetizer today. You will definitely come back and thank me for sharing this Grilled Liver recipe.
Trim the gristle from the liver, and slit the meat along the edges to prevent curling.
Salt and pepper it. You can brush melted the butter on top before grilling.
* 4 thick slices beef liver
* 1/3 stick butter
* Red Onion, sliced or chopped
* Chili or siling Labuyo
* Vinegar, Lemon juice or Calamansi juice
* Salt and pepper
The liver cooks in so much shorter time, so don’t over cooked it! (It takes scarcely 7 to 8 minutes to cook even very thick slices of liver if you’re going to serve them slightly rare.) Just sliced it according to your preferences and mix with chili and chopped onion, seasoned with salt, pepper and vinegar or calamansi juice.
CHICKEN LIVER WITH APPLES
Remembering tante (aunt) Mitzi, my nanay here in Vienna. She used to cook this dish for me during Sundays for my lunch. She knows that I love chicken livers very much with mash potatoes. But for my hubby he would prefer with rice of course.
* 1 tablespoon butter
* onion, sliced
* 500 g chicken livers
* 1/3 cup all purpose flour
* some pepper
* 1 teaspoon butter
* 1 large apple, peeled and sliced (I used Granny Smith)
* 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
1. Cut chicken livers in halves or quarters.
2. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add chicken livers and toss gently, until the livers have absorbed all of the flour mixture.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in large frying pan over medium high heat. Add onion, stir for 30 seconds. Add the chicken livers and brown on each side, careful not to overcook. Remove livers from pan and set aside.
4. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in same frying pan, add apples. Stir fry for about a minute until apples are heated. Add water (or broth) stir. Add chicken livers and stir gently until sauce has thickened.
Serve with mash potatoes or rice.