My family didnt have much money when I was growing up and my mom would have to cook what suited our budget and sure enough, due to lack of money, this dish came up on our menu quite often.
* 2 bunches of pechay
* 2 cans small Ligo red label sardines
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
* 1 pc. medium size onion, chopped
* 2 pcs. medium size tomato, chopped
* a thumb-size ginger
* 1 cup of water
* some vegetable oil
* Wash and drain pechay, cut crosswise into thin strips, separate the stalks from the green leafy part. In a casserole, sauté onion, garlic and tomato. Add 1 cup of water let boil and simmer for a minute, season with salt to taste.
* Add pechay stalks first and cook for a minute, add in sardines sauce first and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
* Add rest of the green leafy part of pechay and sardines simmer for another 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked. Serve hot.